Sunday, November 14, 2010

YAY! Cycled! No! NOOOOO!

So I've been cycling my 75 gallon on the floor for about 2 weeks now.  Within the last couple of days, both ammonia AND nitrites rached 0.  Which means the cycle is complete and after a big water change, the tank is ready for fish.  So I was all happy face.  Then I discovered I had planaria.  Still happy face with a side of annoyed face.

Today was the day I decided to move the 75 aaaaall the way across the house and onto its stand.  I could not siphon anything out, so I had to bail water--which wasn't very fun, but I got it done quite quickly.  The whole time, I'm trying my absolute darnedest to keep my baby nitrifying bacteria alive.  The filter had to be turned off, but I ran water through it to sort of mimic as if it was on.  It wasn't off for even an hour.

We transported the tank.  All was well.  I filled up the tank, got the filter running, and praaaayed that the cycle wasn't broken.  I put in a couple of drops of ammonia in the tank and checked about 4-5 hours later.  The ammonia readings were 0.5.  D':

Now, I probably tested it way too soon.  In the morning, I will find out if I did indeed kill my cycle.  What would happen then?  I'd have to start ALL over.  From scratch.

It sucks because this cycle was REALLY quick.  :(  And I wasted it.

At least the planaria have been reduced.  :O  If they come back yelling "Haaaaay!" I swear I'll.... do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment