Saturday, August 14, 2010

Battling the Ich Monster

I'll start off with a couple of shots of my Ryukin in the 50 gallon. :D


I think it's shrugging at me. D:



Sadly, the black moor is no more. :(  His death was very very sudden, but in retrospect, probably not totally unexpected.  Cause of Death?  Probably a mixture of the stress of medication, the stress of the .5 ppm ammonia, and the stress of those white-dotted bastards.

R.I.P, Cool lil' Dude :C

My local PetSmart currently has an ich infestation on their hands.  After arriving at the store, I began my bolting to the fish section, throwing helpless women and children left and right while maintaining my usual dramatic slow-mo. After a good while, I picked out my two favorite goldfish that seemed disease-free.  Of course, just because you can't see the ich on them that day doesn't mean they're not infected.  So unsurprisingly, this past week's project was to get rid of the ich on my new fish.

I started medication with Jungle Labs' Ick Guard, I believe.  (The bottle itself states that it clears ich.)  Using the reccomended dosage, I treated for a couple of days until I ran out.  During the actual medication, I'd read how medications can be stressful to fish, and I decided to use this opportunity of running out of meds to try to research another route to go.  Yes, yes, a rabidly panicking fish owner constantly changing her mind. D:

On August 10th I switched from medication to treatment with un-(or is it non?)iodized salt and heat.  I turned up the temperature (slowly) to 82 degrees and added 50 teapoons for 50 gallons (which equals to about 1 cup) 3 times within the first 24 hours.  And... the white spots have cleared after about 4 days of maintaining the temperature and adding in lost salt after water changes!  The Ryukin seems to be doing well, but is rubbing up against the plants erratically once in a while.  So I guess this is when the ich is at it's most annoying.  I'll keep this up for the lifespan of the ich (which from what I understand is about 2 weeks).

Updates to come!  Wish me luck! D:

No comments:

Post a Comment