Sunday, August 29, 2010

A little better?

A few people did reply to my post, and gave me the advice to try bloodworms on him, since he might be sick of the flakes (which don't seem to be very good anyway).  I tried it, and he ate them!  He's eating to this day, so I'm very happy.  He's still looking miserable, but for now, I'm happy he's eating again.

Also what was recommended was using Prazi [$19.99 for 10 grams] to get rid of some possible gill flukes.  From what I've been told and researched, Prazi is very gentle, very effective, and very economic (for my needs, at least) as far as dosages go. (a 10 gram bottle treats 1,000 gallons)  It can be a bit expensive, but www.goldfishconnection.com has the cheapest price that I can find and is in the list of recommended stores on kokosgoldfish.com.

In addition to the suggestion of Prazi, I've taken up doing daily 25% water changes to keep the ammonia down as the tank cycles.  He enjoys the water changes, and perks up whenever it's time to clean.  From what I can tell on my test strips, the ammonia is going down little by little.  (Meaning that the light-green color is getting more and more yellowish)

Next on my list of "To-buy"s is some drop-test kits.  I've heard good things about Aquarium pharmaceuticals, but they are, also, expensive.  In my personal local Petsmart, the kit goes for about $32.  On Amazon, it goes for $19.90.  Which is a price I'd MUCH prefer.

So yeah, probably a good amount of spending ahead.  Kids, this is why you CYCLE YOUR TANK, and QUARANTINE YOUR NEW FISH.

No comments:

Post a Comment